[Development] Qt 4.6.5 and 4.7.6 release candidates available

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 19 21:02:22 CET 2013

On terça-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2013 19.29.50, Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> Due to the way earlier releases are done it is not possible to have
> perfectly clean history. This has been discussed in December and after the
> different options were analysed it was seen the best one to do as it now
> is. End result is the same, we have 4.6.5 and 4.7.6 releases available in a
> way closer to where they should be.

I understand how the previous releases were done, but I disagree on the plan.
I want the changes in the 4.7 branch released and I don't want the changes in
the 4.7-digia branch released unless the rest of the Qt Project is given the
opportunity to review them.

> It is very difficult for me to see why this should be done more difficult
> way that brings little to none practical benefits? These packages are
> valuable for the users and since the currently distributed packages contain
> wrong copyrights, they should not be distributed at all. No-one wants that.
> Thus we should just move ahead with this one as already agreed in December
> as no-one raised any objections back then.

I know. I failed to see that they were coming from the wrong branch. I was
simply happy that someone was taking care of the older releases.

This was recently brought to my attention, so I am now taking action.

> We have the packages ready and tested with minor fixes compared to RC1 (21st
> Dec). If we re-do these packages it is a significant effort with very
> limited benefits.

Sorry, the current packages are a complete no-go. They need to be recreated
anyway, since they're missing the shmget security fix.

If we're releasing 4.6 too, I'll backport the fix to the 4.6 branch.

Let's compromise then: we release the 4.7-digia branch provided that the 4.7
branch also gets released within six months. Plan:

1) the security fix is backported into the 4.x-digia branches

2) we review all changes made to those branches that aren't in the respective
4.x branch, with silent approval: if no one objects, the change is approved

3) we release from the 4.x-digia branch, with the public note of the mistake
in the 4.7 version number

4) we merge the 4.x-digia branch into the 4.x branch and close the 4.x-digia
branch

5) we release Qt 4.7.7 within six months

I'd like to hear that there will be people allocated to doing the release work
for the changes that went into the Qt 4.7 branch in the past year since the
two branches diverged.