[Development] GSoC 2013

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Feb 25 23:18:43 CET 2013

On segunda-feira, 25 de fevereiro de 2013 20.03.49, Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> > Is it required for this person to be "affiliated" with the Qt Project
> > Hosting Foundation somehow or could this be administred by KDE people
> > as well?
>
> Quickly reading through the agreement and terms for mentoring organizations
> I can easily understand why Nokia has not been eager to participate. The
> idea is good, but naturally Google has to cover a lot of angles in order to
> run this kind of a program.
>
> That said it might be feasible to sign in as Qt Project through the
> foundation provided that we have solid projects to work on and good mentors
> from the community. But for sure it is not easy money - it takes a lot of
> work just to do all the paperwork and financials properly.

Right. Now the Qt Project is a lot more open than it used to be. Anyway, the
admin for the program does not have to be affiliated with the foundation. It
just needs to be someone who is willing to organise things.

There's some value in merging in with KDE. However, the Qt Project is not just
KDE. If there's a willing admin, I think we should try to do it on our own.

The only thing the foundation would be required to do is submit some paperwork
to Google in order to receive the $500 x number of students.