[Development] QT with qws using CL compiler

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jan 4 12:41:44 CET 2013

On sexta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2013 16.30.03, amogh kudari wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>       Currently I am using cygwin build environment with cl compiler. Is it
> possible to compile qt with qws using cl compiler on cygwin build
> environment?..

We barely support cygwin at all. We prefer mingw, which is like cygwin, but
without the POSIX adaptation layer.

That said, QWS is meant to run on Linux only, though I know it has been ported
to some other OS (QNX or VxWorks, maybe both). It makes a lot of assumptions
that are true only on Unix systems, maybe only on Linux. For example, you need
Unix sockets.

Compiling QWS on Cygwin is entirely unsupported. You're probably the first
person ever to try and do that.

What's more, since QWS has only ever been compiled with GCC, it's very
possible that it makes assumptions about it too. You may find that it doesn't
work with Microsoft's cl.exe.

I don't want to sound negative, but unless you have a REALLY strong reason to
do this on your own -- don't expect us to help you with a Done codebase -- you
may be wasting your time. I really recommend you reset your expectations,
abandon QWS and Cygwin, and move on to Qt 5 and QPA with either Mingw or
standard MSVC.