[Development] QT with qws using CL compiler

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:23:15 CET 2013

Thiago Macieira  wrote:

> We barely support cygwin at all. We prefer mingw, which is like cygwin, but
> without the POSIX adaptation layer. <snip>,
> <snip>,
> I don't want to sound negative, but unless you have a REALLY strong reason
> do this on your own -- don't expect us to help you with a Done codebase --
> you
> may be wasting your time. I really recommend you reset your expectations,
> abandon QWS and Cygwin, and move on to Qt 5 and QPA with either Mingw or
> standard MSVC.

RECALL:
  - Microsoft supported POSIX up to WinXP, which replaced it with Interix
  - Interix (WinXP and beyond) "is-now-dead"
  - The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) was deprecated by
Microsoft after the release of Win8 Developer Preview, and will be removed
in Win9: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX

We use the Microsoft "SUA" for the POSIX adaptation layer ... but it's
incredibly slow and has many known problems.  I don't recommend going
there, and it won't be there in the future.

So, I agree with Thiago:  "Using POSIX on Windows?  Just Don't Try."

Here's an interesting article from 2010 with a good history of
POSIX-on-Windows that fears "Interix may be dead", which we now know to be
true:

http://brianreiter.org/2010/08/24/the-sad-history-of-the-microsoft-posix-subsystem/

The operative term in those comments seems to be, "abandonware".

--charley