[Development] Playground: Crypto module

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Thu Jan 10 21:35:54 CET 2013

On 10 January 2013 17:03, Ruslan Nigmatullin <euroelessar at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With Qt5 there are no Qt-based cryptographic interfaces now. There was an QCA for Qt3/Qt4, but it had over-engineered interface and a lot of bugs. So I would like to start Crypto module for Qt5 with convience crypto-methods (Qt-based wrappers for TLS/SSL encryption, SASL, AES/etc encryption, SHA/HMAC hashing, etc) and nice Qt-style API. It's proposed to use appropriate libraries like OpenSSL/cyrus-sasl/gnugp/etc.

Qt already has support for TLS/SSL in qtnetwork, and I've already
written https://gitorious.org/qt-certificate-addon/ to cover key and
certificate generation (supports qt 4.x and qt5). SHA etc. are covered
by QCryptographicHash
(http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtcore/qcryptographichash.html) out
of your list that really just leaves SASL and actual crypto algorithms
like AES.

I don't see any reason why those couldn't be supported by another two
Qt addons, one for AES and one for SASL, though I'm unsure how much
demand there is.

Cheers

Rich.