[Development] Proposal - QtSerialPort graduation from the Playground

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Sat Jan 12 11:32:52 CET 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:22:31 +0400, Denis Shienkov wrote:

>>A cross platform compatible API for the serial port is a useful thing,
>>but is there a good reason for limiting it to Qt applications ?
>
> Why do you think that this is a limitation?

Well, an application using wxWidgets probably wouldn't use a library that
requires Qt - even if it needs a cross platform API for the serial port.

> This is just a separate, cross-platform implementation of the serial
> port, taking into account the Qt-specific,
> and designed specifically for Qt, like as QAbstractSocket, QFile and so
> forth...

In general I see 2 reasons why a lib should be using Qt:

1) The implementation has a significant benefit from using Qt
2) The API needs to use Qt classes to be "usable in a comfortable way" in
a Qt application

Hiding the platform specific details below a common API is the flesh of a
cross platform serial port lib - and IMO I don't see where Qt is of any
help for this.

The question then is how much substance is left for a Qt API on top
( QIODevice, signals/slots .. ). In case of the version of qextserialport
I had seen it was a couple of lines only, that could have been documented
and done in application code instead.

By the way: what are the major differences between QtSerialPort and the
qextserialport project ?

Uwe