[Development] QtCreator "Generic Linux Device" plugin questions

a.grandi at gmail.com a.grandi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:11:42 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the "Generic Linux Device" plugin of
QtCreator works and I've some questions to ask, to understand if it
already does what I need or if I need to fork it and customize for my
needs.

For some weeks I could not work to this and now I will try to restart
from where I left (so from the first question).

1) I'm trying to use the "Generic Linux Device" feature of QtCreator 2.6
to connect to another Linux machine and try to deploy and execute a Qt
application on it.

The machine where I'm trying to deploy is a normal Xubuntu 12.10 with
SSH server installed.

>From my working machine to that machine, I can SSH without any
problem, but from the "Generic Linux Device" panel I cannot connect
and I get this error during the configuration testing:

Connecting to host...
SSH connection failure: Timeout waiting for reply from server.
Device test failed.

I tried to give a look to auth.log in the remote machine and this is what I see:

Dec 16 16:41:01 andrea-1215P sshd[2317]: pam_ecryptfs:
pam_sm_authenticate: /home/andrea is already mounted
Dec 16 16:41:01 andrea-1215P sshd[2317]: Accepted password for andrea
from 192.168.0.6 port 54187 ssh2
Dec 16 16:41:01 andrea-1215P sshd[2317]: pam_unix(sshd:session):
session opened for user andrea by (uid=0)
Dec 16 16:41:01 andrea-1215P sshd[2428]: Received disconnect from
192.168.0.6: 11:
Dec 16 16:41:01 andrea-1215P sshd[2317]: pam_unix(sshd:session):
session closed for user andrea

Please note that I've configured my QtCreator options like in this
picture: https://twitter.com/i/#!/andreagrandi/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2F93vkYQpV

Do you have any idea about how to make this work?
How the remote machine should be configured to accept connections from
this plugin?

2) If I had to execute the previous task manually, without using a
plugin, I would use scp to copy the compiled binary to the remote
device: is this a task that the plugin is expected to do or I need to
customize it someway? If I need to customize it: how?

3) The second step I expect after building and deploying a binary is
to remotely execute the application: normally I would ssh into the
device/machine and I would run the app displaying it in the running
"graphic server". Is it something that the plugin already does? How I
could do it manually?

Please note that all these tasks I'm trying to do are the same that we
does with Harmattan plugin or with the actual BlackBerry plugin, for
this reason I would like not to re-invent the wheel.

4) where can I find the source code of these plugins? I can clone the
source code of Qt5 where QtCreator is, but what is the folder where I
can find just the plugins?

Thanks for your help :)

p.s: I bet that you are curious to know why I need all of this or
probably you have already guessed ;)

--
Andrea Grandi -  Software Engineer / Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi