[Development] The future of the "Ministro" brand on Android (was: Proposal: Adding a repository in Qt Project for the Ministro tool, needed by Qt for Android)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Jan 12 22:10:12 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Bache-Wiig Jens <Jens.Bache-Wiig at digia.com
> wrote:

> That said, I am not sure I am entirely ok with this. I would like a single
> repository for quality tested Qt libraries and not an arbitrary collection
> of open source libraries of various quality that any application could pull
> in. I want to be certain that the only thing users will get when they see
> that installer screen is a quality tested Qt package.
>
> If Ministro is not that tool, then perhaps qt-project should make a new
> official application under a different name that does this and only this.
> Ministro can of course live alongside with it and be an alternative to more
> adventurous users. Perhaps a separate repository is needed to distribute
> the commercial version of the libraries anyway?

I would rather prefer a generic tool than Qt specific. Can it not be done
in a way that the Qt contributors can write a qt specific operation, so
essentially "pluginable"? That way, each community could inject their
insurance for their projects.

> And even if we for some reason do not int the end want to push the Qt
> brand with the installer, I think we should at least reconsider the
> implications of the brand now that we have the opportunity. I am not a
> native english speaker but Ministro sounds unnecessarily foreign to me.
> Perhaps something trendy or more developer friendly like "LibKit" or
> "Library Store" would do.

Many people would think of real physical libraries with Shakespeare books
and so forth at first glance. :]

Perhaps simply just to the point: "Dependency Installer/Store"? It could
also install a simple cli tool/util/script, and not just library if that is
not possible or wished to put into the store if this project leans towards
the generic approach.

Laszlo