[Development] Proposal - QtSerialPort graduation from the Playground

Thiago A. CorrĂȘa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:27:54 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Thiago A. CorrĂȘa <thiago.correa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, I thought it was discussed previously, but since you mentioned,
>> baudRate would be nicer.
>

> Yes, I had proposed it back then to Denis iirc, so we did discuss it. Cannot
> recall whether Denis did not like the idea or we were lazy buggers to
> implement it. :-)
>
> By the way, I am not sure I understand the proposal yet fully. I tend to
> think that "BaudRate" is better for the enumeration type name, but I would
> not suggest that for the concrete values. I would personally prefer
> "Baud9600", and so forth for those. What do you think?

IMHO we could drop the enumeration from the public API. It's not used
for anything, not sure if it's used in the implementation either, and
change the method to baudRate/setBaudRate. I'm not native english
speaker but I think writting it as baudrate (ie, as a single word) is
common[1], and therefore I guess it wouldn't be against the convention
to call it baudrate/setBaudrate if that form os prefered.
If we keep the enumeration, then Baud9600 isn't a bad name.

[1] I've looked up an Oxford Semi datasheet I have here and it's
written only as baud rate, but another one from Atmel has both forms.

Kind Regards
   Thiago A. Correa