[Development] Nominating Iikka Eklund as approver

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Thu Jan 24 16:13:14 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 03:53:17PM +0100, Jedrzej Nowacki wrote:
> On Thursday 24. January 2013 14.49.33 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > I think it's reasonable to expect that people exercise their approver
> > > rights with care, and only use it were appropriate.
> > >

> > one would think so. but we did already see things go wrong because
> > approvers made assumptions about "trivial" things in projects they are
> > not involved in.
>
>     Oh, it is easy to invalidate such argument, I haven't seen such situation,
> so "we" don't work here.

"several people in the project" is suffiecient to satisfy "we".

> Stats are welcome.

the stats *i* can deliver are the one or two cases i've seen in creator.

> Anyway I took freedom of accepting patches in different areas.
> Sometimes because they were easy sometimes because there was no one
> willing to look at them. Your comment is suggesting that it is
> something wrong, but it is not. I agree with Kai we need to trust that
> people will do the right things if not... then git revert is not that
> hard.

the changes may be as easy as they get. part of your responsibility as
an approver is minimizing disturbances of process, in particular
violations of policy, which includes minimizing cherry-picks (and thus
also reverts, as these are just inverse cherry-picks). how can you do
that when you are not familiar with the project to start with? right,
you can't. putting a technical barrier there just makes it explicit:
stop here, you need to educate yourself before you are trusted.