[Development] Nominating Iikka Eklund as approver

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Jan 25 22:19:19 CET 2013

On Jan 25, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On sexta-feira, 25 de janeiro de 2013 14.10.56, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> of course it is. but it is not the only skill. a contribution may be
>> technically as correct as it gets, but if the contributor lives in his
>> tiny world without ever having looked outside, there is a good chance he
>> will miss some of the more subtle aspects of doing a proper review.
>
> You're completely right on that one.
>
> But I think that the approvers nominating and seconding use their grey matter
> to decide whether the new proposed approver would do a correct review.
>
> Besides, I don't think there's anything wrong in giving approver rights for
> someone who has no clue about most of Qt. I can't claim that myself! I know
> QtCore, QtNetwork and QtDBus. I will refrain from approving elsewhere. Why
> can't new approvers do the same?

Full +2 on this. One part of being an Approver is to accept a responsibility towards the project when approving changes. The responsibility implies a few things:

* you know what you don't know
* you're extremely careful about approving things in areas you don't know
* you're there to fix things if something goes wrong with the change you approved

But I'm not willing to go down a road where people get Approver rights on a per module level. In the end we'd end up having ACLs for every file.

So the primary question is whether the new Approver will bring the project forward, knows the area he's working on and accepts and understands the responsibility that comes with the Approver rights.

And just for the record, Iikka has my support.

Cheers,
Lars