[Development] Proposal - QtSerialPort graduation from the Playground

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Jan 26 07:34:47 CET 2013

Getting in: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,45640

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,45879

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,45882

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,45883

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,45884

>  And a question: There's no auto tests. I know that testing serial ports
> can't really be done in an automated fashion, but is there anything we can
> do to cover the module?

Good question; we discussed this issue before. This is unfortunately also a
real problem for us to test the module with all the combinations for each
factor. It requires (semi-)manual testing and hence a bit of effort. I see
two ways to improve the automated test coverage:

* I requested the QtMock module in April for a playground initiation to
extend the test capability of the Qt Project for such cases like this, but
I did not get around to it, unfortunately, to get anything done for that
yet.

* The CI machines could be using a loopback cable, and test it that way. It
would be even better to use a pandaboard or raspberry pi (with gserial in
that case). The board could be used for receiving and sending data back for
instance, but this requires a special hardware setup.

Perhaps, there are other alternatives to address this, but these have just
come to my mind for the moment.

Laszlo