[Development] Proposal - QtSerialPort graduation from the Playground

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sat Jan 26 10:32:13 CET 2013

On 26.01.2013 07:34, Laszlo Papp wrote:

> Good question; we discussed this issue before. This is unfortunately also a real problem for us to test the module with
> all the combinations for each factor. It requires (semi-)manual testing and hence a bit of effort. I see two ways to
> improve the automated test coverage:
>
> * I requested the QtMock module in April for a playground initiation to extend the test capability of the Qt Project for
> such cases like this, but I did not get around to it, unfortunately, to get anything done for that yet.

For ideal testing a mock would be good which simulates the complete serial port. Is there a interface in front of
the native calls which could be implemented by a mock and could be used as a drop in for the real serial port?

And it would also be very helpful when there is a recorder which listens to a real serial communication and
writes it down, so it can be used later as input for the mock.

It's not necessary to have such things now, but the internal interfaces should make it possible to implement it later.

Such a mock is sometimes the only way to test error cases which are often hard to reproduce on real hardware.