[Development] Missing documentation makes QML ListView unusable

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 09:20:59 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Rainer Keller <rainer.keller at digia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Having
>> a MouseArea "by default" would most likely lead to it being disabled
>> in the majority of cases, on all platforms except desktop.
> I agree. But this doesn't this affect mobile touch devices too?

Some mobile UIs have tap to select in a list. Others have scroll to
select, which I think is more common (or would be if the components
supported it ;) ). They also use a lot of lists just as menus of
actionable items, where they would also be disabling the 'selection'
mouse area because they want to trigger the action, not select a list
item (although they could use that extra level of indirection if they
wanted too). Only the first case would benefit from a default mouse
area, the rest would have to explicitly turn it off.

>> This is a different problem (probably easiest solved with a link to
>> the examples, like Laszlo suggested).
> That sounds strange.
>
>> Because there's a lot of value
>> in running and playing with the examples, there are a lot of simple
>> examples in the examples directory for QtQuick which would probably be
>> better classified as snippets and integrated better in the
>> documentation. But doing that makes them a lot harder to run right
>> now, so they're left in the examples directory.
> If I submit a code snippet only for the documentation together with some text
> will this be an acceptable way to go?

Sure, just add me as a reviewer.

>> Practical upshot being
>> that to be introduced to most of the QtQuick items you'll need to flip
>> through the examples directory, which shouldn't be too hard even
>> though it might be a different workflow for some.
> In my opinion the documentation should to complete enough to use it for
> development without the need for further sources.

I agree, it's just not quite there yet. If we could have the smaller
examples embedded in the documentation without cost (cost of
maintaining a second copy, cost of not being able to easily run them,
cost of adding all the qdoc commands, that sort of cost) then they'd
be there already. That's the different problem that I was talking
about, the problem with the docs as opposed to any specific problem
with ListView.

--
Alan Alpert