[Development] abandoning stale changes on gerrit

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Tue Jan 29 16:21:17 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 01:53:27PM +0000, Sorvig Morten wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com> wrote:
> > just stick to the request above. if we made an exception for
> > everyone who wants a different procedure, we won't get anywhere - do
> > you have any idea *how* many dead changes there are?
>
> No, and that's my point : I don't really care how many changes others
> have. I'll deregister myself from those I'm not interested in.

all changes i'm subscribed to are somehow interesting to me, obviously.
that means that i don't want to unsubscribe, as i'd miss any relevant
activity. therefore they should be abandoned if they are dead, rather
than having everyone remove themselves (and in the worst case spam all
other subscribers with a request to be re-invited).

> Can you elaborate a bit on what practical issue this would solve?
> (beyond "there are many changes in gerrit").

apart from the above, it also skews the metrics (in case somebody ever
decides to use the number of open changes for something).

also, the matter is not up for discussion: the cleanup of dead changes
was decided before we launched. i'm just executing.