[Development] Closing Jira Bugs

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Wed Jan 30 23:07:27 CET 2013

On 30 January 2013 20:24, Alan Alpert <416365416c at gmail.com> wrote:

> To muddy the waters further, wasn't the problem being that the person
> wanting the task closed wasn't the assignee? I thought the problem was
> of the committer being a contributor who isn't an approver and so
> can't take ownership of the JIRA task, and a reviewer who didn't know
> they also should have managed the JIRA status. It seems odd that a
> reviewer should assign the task to themselves as in progress if they
> aren't actively working on it, just reviewing a patch, but that's my
> current understanding of the process(which no-one adheres too, because
> it's not very sensible).

I think a significant problem in this area is that we don't really have any
guide on how to use the bug tracker that I'm aware of. I'd say I'm probably
one of the non-digia, and non-nokia contributors who's kept up with qt
development most and I haven't a clue how I should interact with it. Every
so often I notice a bug that I or someone else has already fixed so I close
it, but that's about it. If we want a policy on how to use it then fine,
but it needs to be written down. If someone has written something down,
then please tell me where it is so I can read it.

Cheers

Rich.