[Development] Qml/Quick Designe Decision Wiki or how to avoid generating work for other stakeholders

Bubke Marco Marco.Bubke at digia.com
Mon Jul 1 11:56:41 CEST 2013

Alan Alpert:
The items-in-a-scene is an implementation detail (albeit one of the
biggest ones), but if you can provide a better implementation for the
existing APIs then that would be ideal. If not, we need to start
considering trade-offs instead, and maybe these other use-cases are
not as important as the application running with high performance
on-device. The initial usecases were not MDI, and were not even
multi-window. We aren't going to throw in extra abstraction layers for
a "potential future". It's much better to maintain flexibility to be
able to add abstractions later on, even though abstractions are
easiest to implement at the start. One of the hopes for the QML-only
API of QtQuick is that we are only restricted by QML versioning
(separate from Qt versioning), and this gives us more flexibility.

If we implement it new I would opt for a approach where a item would have something like a property isApplicationWindow. This item would be than wrapped in a Window. I think MDI would be possible too with this approach.