[Development] Changelogs for Qt 5.1.x and 5.2

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 16 12:22:55 CEST 2013

Hello

At the Qt Contributor Summit, we're proposing the following:

1) commits with changes worthy of being mentioned in the release's ChangeLog
will have a note in the *commit* *message*
  not in a Git note
  not in JIRA

2) however automated we make the changelog creation, it will still require a
human to re-read the text and prettify. Hopefully, a native speaker.

3) the format for the changelog is:

a) auto-guess module from the paths changed
[ChangeLog] Here is my slightly verbose text explaining that I've done
something awesome and should tell people about it.

b) explicit heading in the changelog:
[ChangeLog][Important Behavior Changes] Here I am telling you that I changed
something in QUrl that you should be aware of, but is for the greater good.

[ChangeLog][QtCore][QUrl / QUrlQuery] Blah blah blah

I am volunteering to write a (Perl) script to read all commit messages in a
release and produce an update to the changelog. The script will also extract
the the Task-number from the commit (if there's any) and add to the text.

If there are no objections, I'll update the commit template in qtbase.