[Development] QtCS - QtDBus discussion

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jul 29 17:22:38 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 29 de julho de 2013 11:56:34, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'd like to ask some more info about this since I was not there:
>
> On 07/26/2013 11:39 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > This is a simple copy & paste from the wiki page, since the topic is
> > fairly
> > short. See
> > http://qt-project.org/groups/qt-contributors-summit-2013/wiki/QtDBus_CS
> >
> > h1. QtDBus module discussions at Qt Contributor Summit 2013
> >
> > Topics for discussion:
> > * Rewriting the engine:
> > ** Dropping the libdbus-1 dependency
>
> [...]
> > # Take ahartmetz's marshaller/demarshaller and put on top of QtDBus &
> > libdbus-1
>
> This line and the one from the topic seem to be conflicting: will
> libdbus-1 be dropped or not?
> Will we use some other library or will the whole stuff be natively
> implemented in Qt?

Hi Alberto

The idea is that this is one step in moving away from the dbus-1 dependency.
That library does mainly two things for us: marshalling of messages and
connection management. Since dbus-1 has had for years an API to insert a pre-
marshalled message on the connection, we thought that we could do the port in
two steps by replacing the marshalling code first.

The idea is to have this code inside src/dbus, completely native. Once that is
done and working, we go to step 2 and replace the socket management, dropping
the dependency.

> Do you have any links for ahartmetz's marshaller?

Not yet.