[Development] Making docs being built for every module

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jun 6 19:59:17 CEST 2013

Meyer wrote:

> > > The drawback is a major increase in the size of those tarballs.
>
> hmm, yeah. what are the numbers?

Back in Qt 4 days, the increase for the full document set was about 60-70 MB.
After compression (the QCH file doesn't compress well, and the HTML help files
compress to the size of the QCH file).

> > And some of us would be required to re generate in order to asset that
> > we can build it from source, so it wouldn't help a lot.
>
> that seems like absurd puritanism to me. are you also required to run
> autoconf even though each source tarball contains a pre-made configure?
> also, some time ago, qt didn't come with all the sources, so you were
> forced to use pre-generated artificats. did you refuse to ship that?

I agree here.

You have the option and the ability to rebuild from sources if you need to,
but you don't have to. You don't need to re-generate cross-platform pre-
generated files. I recommend simply accepting the pre-built documentation.

However, tarballs where the "preferred form for making modifications" isn't
present are in violation of OSS licenses and, in specific, the DFSG.