[Development] Clarification on Mac 10.6 support for Qt 5.2

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 7 17:31:15 CEST 2013

On sexta-feira, 7 de junho de 2013 10.22.56, Koehne Kai wrote:
> Situation with Qt 5.1 as it is
>  - Binary installer is compiled with OS X 10.7
>  - You cannot deploy with them to 10.6
>  - If you want to deploy to 10.6 without QtWebKit you have to compile Qt
> yourself, on OS X 10.6, or on OS X 10.7 and above with -no-c++11 (to be
> verified) - If you want to deploy to 10.6 including QtWebKit you have to
> compile Qt yourself, on OS X 10.6

You forgot one detail here:
 - QtLocation does not compile on Mac (as of yesterday morning)

Similarly, any user program that tries to compile a library with CONFIG -= qt
with another that is CONFIG += qt will fail.

We need a fix somewhere.

> My suggestion:
>  - Leave Qt 5.1.0 as it is right now, move on with the release process
>  - Investigate providing an additional binary installer with Qt compiled
> 10.6 (e.g. with 5.1.1)
> - Thoroughly document the problem for people
> compiling their own Qt

I'd rather our default package produced binaries that work on 10.6. There
needs to be very good reasons why the standard binaries produce applications
for 10.7+.