[Development] Qt 5.1 installers ready for testing

Axel Waggershauser awagger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 12:30:09 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I much prefer OpenGL. I've seen plenty of bugs caused by angle (like
> no multisampling which is still an open issue and reported) that made
> me switch to Qt 5.1 builds with OpenGL native. Also imho ANGLE is just
> a lame excuse to be able to use OpenGL "properly" because the native
> OpenGL is poorly supported by the driver vendors.

I don't why this is a "lame excuse", it helps people, given the state
of OpenGL on Windows. It solves a real problem.

> The problem is them, the driver vendors, aka AMD, Nvidia en Intel with
> heavy emphasis on AMD. They (especially AMD) neglect to make decently
> working OpenGL drivers and they should be heavily pushed to fix their
> crap. ANGLE should not need to exist.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one (having been in direct
contact with AMD folks a while ago to have them fix a bunch of bugs in
their GLSL compiler, so I tried the pushing). But considering the
origin of ANGLE (Google), I doubt the idea of "heavily pushing" AMD to
fix stuff is not going to go anywhere, otherwise Google would probably
have done it. Besides, even if the next driver is 100% compliant, this
won't help 90% of their installed base over the next 1-3 years,
because "your mom (TM)" will hardly every get around to upgrade her
OpenGL driver.

> I think Qt shouldn't provide an ANGLE build by default but have a
> runtime option to use it. Optional and not enabled by default.

Runtime option: +1, ANGLE based Qt build as long as this is not
available: +1. Why "shouldn't" it be build by default?

 - Axel