[Development] New installers available

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Tue Jun 18 16:44:39 CEST 2013

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 14:34:17 you wrote:
> On 18.06.13 16:01, "Stephen Kelly" <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 13:16:42 you wrote:
> >> Hi Stephen,
> >>
> >> I think there should have been an answer on the list to the concern.
> >
> >Yes. There's no point in posing such questions if the answers are ignored.
> >
> >Do you think it's important to ask for a list of important patches at
> >all, or
> >should we just forego that entirely? Not asking would probably help get
> >an RC
> >out sooner.
>
> That wasn't the point. What I meant above is that this should have been
> discussed on the ML or on IRC with a public resolution on whether this
> blocks or not.
>
> That hasn't happened which is IMO the bigger problem, not that the patch
> will only be in the RC2 or final.

Yes. I fully agree.

> >> But having said that I don't think this should have blocked the RC.
> >
> >Is that the kind of claim that should be debated on a case-by-case basis?
> >Is
> >that what you intend to ensure happens in the future (ensuring that there
> >is
> >time for such discussion, and that the discussion happens)?
>
> This was my personal opinion. Again, we should have had a discussion about
> it.

I was more trying to figure out with the above and below paragraph if you
think things like this should be resolved on a case-by-case basis, or based on
a policy?

> The main problem is that getting this in would have required another
> submodule update (containing also many other patches), and we've seen
> before that this can easily lead to more then a day in delays.

Yes.

However, qt5.git has contained a submodule update with this patch since
yesterday afternoon. The only remaining task is to roll updated packages,
which seems far less problematic/flaky than CI.

Thanks for your answers!

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer