[Development] Qt Documentation discoverability in Google

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jun 25 00:52:46 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 24 de junho de 2013 15.50.17, Knoll Lars wrote:
> On 6/24/13 5:32 PM, "Giuseppe D'Angelo" <dangelog at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 24 June 2013 17:20, Markus Goetz <markus at woboq.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I remember that gooling for "QWidget" or "QNetworkAccessManager" gave
> >> you the documentation page (usually of the latest Qt release) as a first
> >> hit.
> >>
> >> This is not the case anymore, I'm getting an outdated MeeGo Harmattan
> >> 4.7 result or Blackberry docs now as the first results.
> >>
> >> One way to fix this would probably be if qt.nokia.com/doc and
> >> doc.trolltech.com would not be blindly forwarded to qt.digia.com but
> >> take the 'path' part of the requested URL and also append that on the
> >> forward to qt-project.org/doc. Then google would forward that old link
> >> juice and the correct Qt documentation could be the first result..)
> >
> >That's more or less what I proposed to do in
> >https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTWEBSITE-504 , but I don't
> >know the control we have on qt.nokia.com / doc.trolltech.com
> >domains...
>
> Unfortunately I don't think we have any control on them :/

Do we need to?

$ curl -s -D - http://doc.qt.nokia.com/foobar.html | grep Location:
Location: http://doc.qt.digia.com/foobar.html

$  curl -v -s -D - http://doc.trolltech.com/foobar.html
* About to connect() to doc.trolltech.com port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 87.238.50.204... No route to host

It would be nice if the Digia domain redirected to the official docs in qt-
project.org/doc.

And as a side note, any chance we can get an automatic search-and-redirect
too? If I use "qt:qstring" in KDE, I get sent to
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/index.html

The old TT webpage suggested pages if I had misspelt anything.