[Development] Qt 5.2

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 19:46:22 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 26 de junho de 2013 15.21.56, Qi Liang wrote:
>> Another situation we should avoid is the relations between stable and
>> release after branch.
>>
>> 5.1.0 is still not out yet, after branch, many fixes for critical issues
>> still went into stable branch, and there is no merge happened from stable
>> into release. Then some cherry-pick happened from stable to release.
>> Duplicate commits happened several times which I had seen by now.
>
> From stable to release is not supposed to happen. Things that go into stable
> are supposed to be 5.1.1 material and require a little more time of testing,
> like Ossi's updates to the configure script.
>
> If something ends up by accident in stable, or if we later find that it is
> really required in release, then we cherry-pick.

Thiago is correct. We're still a little new at this branching
structure but the process is always supposed to be that critical
issues, targeting the patch release we're working on releasing now,
should go to release branch. Non-critical fixes or ones that need more
time go to stable and will be in the next patch release. And
cherry-picking is a manual fall-back for when we make a mistake.

--
Alan Alpert