[Development] Qt 5.2

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 26 18:49:40 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 26 de junho de 2013 15.21.56, Qi Liang wrote:
> Another situation we should avoid is the relations between stable and
> release after branch.
>
> 5.1.0 is still not out yet, after branch, many fixes for critical issues
> still went into stable branch, and there is no merge happened from stable
> into release. Then some cherry-pick happened from stable to release.
> Duplicate commits happened several times which I had seen by now.

>From stable to release is not supposed to happen. Things that go into stable
are supposed to be 5.1.1 material and require a little more time of testing,
like Ossi's updates to the configure script.

If something ends up by accident in stable, or if we later find that it is
really required in release, then we cherry-pick.

> I suggest:
> After release branched from stable, the review of the commits in stable
> branch should be monitored by someone or team, they should decide whether
> the commits should go to release branch or not very carefully.

That's already supposed to happen.

> Otherwise, we should do merge from stable to release before the final
> release happen, but will cause some extra work to release team and others.

That defeats the purpose of having a branch at all. If we're going to do the
merge, then we could just as well not have the branch in the first place and
save ourselves the hassle and the CPU time required to test the extra branch.