[Development] [QA] Suggestion -- Setting Up the Priority in JIRA

Jason McDonald macadder1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:28:49 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On terça-feira, 12 de março de 2013 13.28.37, Motyka Rafal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to suggest another change for JIRA:
>> - A Reporter should be able to set the Priority starting from the Create
>> Issue window.
>> - Guidelines for setting Priority should be provided (already
>> working today).
>>
>> Please feel free to comment on this.
>> If there are no serious objections, this change will be introduced soon. The
>> impact of the change will be evaluated.
>
> I disagree. The priority should be set by the triager, the person who can make
> a dispassionate, objective assessment of the bug's priority. The bug reporter
> is way too involved to make that assessment.

When we first introduced Jira, we allowed the priority field to be set
by the reporter, and this resulted in me spending rather a lot of time
turning P0's and P1's into P3's and P4's.  Before long my boss decided
to hide the priority field from the Create Issue form.  I don't know
whether the climate has changed enough since then for it to be
reasonable to expect a different result if we were to put the priority
field back in the form.

Cheers,
--
Jason