[Development] OpenGL vs ANGLE - wiki page (what about performances?)

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Fri May 17 14:37:50 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:35:31AM +0000, Koehne Kai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When compiling Qt on windows you can choose between -angle  and -desktop opengl .  Which one to use can be a tricky question ...
>
> I started a wiki page to collect input, and already some people have contributed:
>
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Windows-ANGLE-and-OpenGL
>
> This should help users to make an informed choice. Anyhow, I can imagine its final content will also be a hint on what we should put into binary installers by default :) Feel free to contribute, especially if you've first-hand experience on the matter.

I've been personally experiencing a noticeable performance difference with my old Intel HD 2000 card where ANGLE was performing better than the OpenGL drivers, did anybody else have noticed performance differences between ANGLE and straight OpenGL?

I think that non-reliable information is worst than no information, but if somebody has been able to benchmark this and extract a useful conclusion, it might be worth writing it down there until we can allow end-users to switch the backend at runtime and judge by themselves on their system.

If not then let's not add noise to the list, I'm just wondering actually.

Cheers,
Jocelyn