[Development] Webkit for Android

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Wed May 29 13:33:54 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Simon Hausmann <simon.hausmann at digia.com>wrote:

> That said, on Android it might make sense to differentiate between having
> access to QtWebKit and being able to embed web content. Perhaps the latter
> can
> be done with less effort if there was a way of wrapping the Java WebView
> in Qt
> and embedding that into QML2.

Just displaying new content is not good enough. I am not interested in
starting a new activity to surf to a web page.

I want an HTML page with HTML -> C++ (or... Qt's JS) and from my
application code to call the JS on the page. I want my application to
interact with the web page.

I like Mark's idea about disconnecting between the HTML engine and Qt -
using the system HTML engine, and not embedding our own. I have no idea how
to implement this, as I am not sure how deep is the connection between
QtWebKit and Qt is.

Maybe a reboot of the idea is needed, QtHTML that has less features, but
knows how to work with Gecko, Android's HTML native system, Trident,
whatever. Again, STFU n00b and code... I completely understand, and I will
shut up now :)