[Development] Qt 4.8.6 Release Plans

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 15:55:57 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad at silmor.de> wrote:

>  On Monday 04 November 2013 11:46:35 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 06:49:17AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>
> > > We can't even click the link. If we read their patches, we can't write
>
> > > the same later.
>

> > that's nonsense. any simple patch is not subject to copyright (though
>
> > it's still good tone to credit the investigator). and anything complex
>
> > enough is likely to produce a slightly different patch anyway, even
>
> > after seeing the other patch. that's what copyright is about in the
>
> > first place: protecting *creative* works.
>

> I hate to be so negative, but...
>

> Oswald what you are describing is the spirit of copyright. How it is
> supposed to work. What Thiago is describing is how it works (or often
> doesn't) in reality.
>

> As soon as you see a copyright lawyer in the room: run like hell! It won't
> help, but it gives you a nice fuzzy feeling of being ahead one step... ;-)
>

> (IANAL)
>

> Konrad

Well, whatever the legal situation is I surely wasn't implying that we just
take his work :) Whether or not the quality level is up to par if another
question, and surely something that could be resolved through review. I've
been in touch with the author and will help him submit the patches to
upstream for the code he wrote himself. There are a few patches that were
taken from a WebKit dev branch, so perhaps some of those can be merged in
directly? (maintainers page still lists Simon as qtwebkit maintainer, but I
believe it's Allan now, perhaps one of them can speak to this point).
Either way, I think this would be a pretty significant inclusion for a
4.8.6 release, is there a timeline for this yet?

 Matt