[Development] Qt 4.8.6 Release Plans

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Mon Nov 4 14:20:35 CET 2013

On Monday 04 November 2013 11:46:35 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 06:49:17AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > We can't even click the link. If we read their patches, we can't write
> > the same later.
>
> that's nonsense. any simple patch is not subject to copyright (though
> it's still good tone to credit the investigator). and anything complex
> enough is likely to produce a slightly different patch anyway, even
> after seeing the other patch. that's what copyright is about in the
> first place: protecting *creative* works.

I hate to be so negative, but...

Oswald what you are describing is the spirit of copyright. How it is supposed
to work. What Thiago is describing is how it works (or often doesn't) in
reality.

As soon as you see a copyright lawyer in the room: run like hell! It won't
help, but it gives you a nice fuzzy feeling of being ahead one step... ;-)

(IANAL)

	Konrad