[Development] Moving JP2 imageformat from qt-solutions to qtimageformats

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Fri Nov 8 08:45:57 CET 2013

…

> So my own use of the icon engine is restricted to OS X.  As such, my
> own use of the engine could just as well be satisfied by having an
> ICNS icon engine in QtMacExtras (or wherever) that wraps NSImage - or
> some native code in Mumble to load the icons via native APIs.

Still, I don't see a good reason to try to avoid making it available on the other platforms.  As I wrote elsewhere in the thread, maybe .icns can even turn out to be a good cross-platform icon solution.  And JPEG2000 might be useful in other contexts, too; however that comes at the cost of linking with yet another library.  As long as we ensure that when the library is missing, the ability to decode the larger versions of the icons is missing (or the ability to decode the icons at all is missing), and that doesn't cause any other problems at runtime, is there any other reason not to have it available?  It's not like we'd have to include the JPEG2000 decoder source with Qt, just have the ability to detect the library and compile the plugin only if it's there, right?