[Development] Qt SDK for Mac OS X (was: New Qt 5.2 snapshot build #172)

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:30:32 CET 2013

On Nov 27, 2013 9:29 PM, "Adam Strzelecki" <ono at java.pl> wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong but there’s single ~/.config/…/QtCreator file,
so even we have several QtCreators all of them gonna see some SDK
registered by the other.

Several users can share one installation of Qt creator. We also support one
user having different Qt Creator/Qt packages. Think "Qt SDK" and "secret
new platform SDK". Qt SDK will want to see all Qt versions, except those
for the secret new platform, while the secret SDK will want to see only its
Qts. Both SDKs should not integer with any of the settings of the other.

That is why we have installation-wide and user settings -- in the two SDK
case we even have two completely separate sets of installation-wir and user
settings.

The SDK installer needs to work on the installation-wide settings and can
not even know all users of that installation. It can not touch user
settings in any way, but is limited to the installation wide settings.

The whole problem boils down to: How can Creator find all the relevant Qt
versions?

Currently we do that by having the installer register the Qt versions with
the one instance of Qt creator it did install along the Qt versions it set
up.

Maybe Qt Chooser is a way to go in the future, maybe we can register all Qt
Creators on a system and have Qt figure out which of those to register
with, maybe something else.

Good ideas are welcome.

> Of course triggering registration and copy Qt5.x.y-spec.qtsdk with Qt
Creator requires Qt Creator to be there. It may be explicitly written on
.dmg background image. We can even put link to Qt Creator download too for
convenience. I have ready bash scripts that do all the layout and dmg build.

You are aware that there are no .qtsdk files? So the rest of this mail is
mostly wishful thinking till somebody fleshed out what those files actually
are.

Best Regards,
Tobias