[Development] Qt SDK for Mac OS X (was: New Qt 5.2 snapshot build #172)

Adam Strzelecki ono at java.pl
Thu Nov 28 13:11:54 CET 2013

> Good ideas are welcome

(1) If you want it system wide, we could use well-known path relative to the .app, either SDKs inside the .app itself, or „Qt" folder next to "Qt Creator.app", I don’t know which one is better, but I believe /Applications folder is best place because it easy to figure out what to trash when you don’t want it anymore.

(2) If you don’t want it system wide, but just keep it in your favorite folder inside your home folder, either for testing, secrecy or whatever reason, you just double-click (open with some Qt Creator) to let it know you want to use that SDK.
> You are aware that there are no .qtsdk files?

I am speaking of folder containing Qt SDK version for given target, currently named (once installed):

5.2.0-rc1/clang_64

I am suggesting to rename it into Qt5.2.0-rc1-macx-clang_64.qtsdk (giving it .qtsdk extension)

It is just an extension for a folder. It is indeed OSX flavor, which doesn’t exist on Windows. This way we can trigger application with given folder *not file*. We can set up Qt Creator to pickup folders with .qtsdk extension.

Following this idea we can have some folder somewhere, having several:

Qt5.1.1-macx-clang_64.qtsdk
Qt5.2.0-rc1-macx-clang_64.qtsdk
Qt5.2.0-rc1-ios-clang_64.qtsdk

If file lies on removable device (network or mounted DMG image) Qt Creator may ask „Do you want to copy this SDK into [some well known place], or just register it?” (just for convenience) otherwise if is triggered from local disk, it could just register it.
> So the rest of this mail is mostly wishful thinking till somebody fleshed out what those files actually are

It is just (1) adding .qtsdk extension to the SDK directory, (2) adding „qtsdk” extension info into Info.plist of Qt Creator, same it does „cpp" and finally handling open file with Qt Creator.

Additionaly we may have nice icon for .qtsdk folder.

Cheers,
--
Adam