[Development] Disabling exception support in QtCore?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 2 01:12:03 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 2 de outubro de 2013 01:03:19, Christoph Feck wrote:
> > In order to properly do that, we should remove all try/catch blocks
> > in QtCore and replace with scoped pointers and scoped values. We
> > should let the destructors handle the cleanup.
>
> Sounds "a bit" more work than simply disabling exceptions, so might be
> something out of scope for 5.x.

Not really. It just takes some work to do it.

> > Turning exceptions off may or may not get you the backtrace. It may
> > also get you a std::terminate or a crash.
>
> A crash is fine, as long as I see the origin, or are you implying that
> those crashes would record no backtrace at all?

They may not record anything at all. You may see only ??? in the backtrace.

This is *really* undefined behaviour territory. I can't even guess what the
ABIs do if they face a frame with no exception information.

Also note the discovery of the other email: the frame information is *still*
present in the no-exception build. So it's quite likely that the IA-64 C++ ABI
would at least manage to unwind the stack. However, after that, QtCore might
be totally and utterly useless.