[Development] Disabling exception support in QtCore?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 2 08:34:58 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 2 de outubro de 2013 06:57:01, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> On 2013-10-01 21:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Since we decided to roll back support for exceptions in our container
> > classes, the only thing that currently needs exception support is the
> > mainloop allowing std::bad_alloc through.
> >
> > Is it worth it?
> >
> > Should we disable exceptions in QtCore?
>
> As an outside voice, I'd like to point out that the rest of the world is
> using exceptions and removing whatever exception support there is in
> QtCore seems like a step in the wrong direction.

That's because they use exceptions in their API. We don't use it in ours.

Also, our containers don't support types that throw exceptions. That decision
was made three months ago.

The question I posed is: given that the only remaining support is in the event
loop, that its current working status is unknown, and that it costs us an
increase of 7% in size of QtCore, is it worth it?