[Development] configure failure on Mac

Jørgen Lind jorgen.lind at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 14:30:49 CEST 2013

On 3 October 2013 11:09, Sorvig Morten <Morten.Sorvig at digia.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2013, at 3:10 AM, Glen Mabey <gmabey at swri.org>
>  wrote:
>

>> I'm on the dev branch but experienced this issue before the 5.2 and 5.3 branches split.
>>
>> macbookpro:qtbase$ ./configure -prefix ~/src/take2/install
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Running configuration tests...
>> The test for linking against libxcb and support libraries failed!
>> You might need to install dependency packages, or pass -qt-xcb.
>> See src/plugins/platforms/xcb/README.
>>

>> Which seems to me like it's performing X11 checks on the wrong platform.
>>
>> I can file a bug if I'm really not missing something obvious …
>

> Do you happen to have xcb and/or pkgconfig installed via Macports? I can reproduce the build error in that case.
>
> A quick workaround is to configure with "-no-pkg-config". This should arguably be the default when building for OS X:

But if you happen to have pkg-config in your path, why should we then
not use it. The user has "one way or the other" added it to the path,
so why shouldn't it be used.

I think the interesting question is why configure fails when you have
a version of xcb that is missing some headers. Maybe a warning would
be enough?

Jørgen