[Development] [RFC] What to do about overloaded signals/slots?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Sat Oct 5 21:25:54 CEST 2013

Hi,

> Op 5 okt. 2013 om 20:47 heeft Olivier Goffart <olivier at woboq.com> het volgende geschreven:
>

> There is the same problem if one use pointer to member function in
> QtConcurrent[1] or in other third party API (boost::bind)
> Which means adding an overload can be a source incompatible change regardless
> if it is used as a slot or not.
To me, it means that using an (unqualified) member function pointer exposes you to source incompatibilities. It seems that that is a more general problem than with just Qt. We should document/warn against that effect and how to protect yourself from it, but IMHO it should not stop us from improving the API, even if that means adding overloads.

André