[Development] ABI of deprecated supportsThreadedFontRendering()

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Thu Oct 10 15:04:40 CEST 2013

Hi!

I just learnt about what looks like an ABI regression in Qt 5.2:

The function QFontDatabase::supportsThreadedFontRendering() got deprecated
in 5.2 with commit b0b786a2f05e9451a65519ab8904f55c35f51b7d:

  -    static bool supportsThreadedFontRendering();
  +#if QT_DEPRECATED_SINCE(5, 2)
  +    QT_DEPRECATED static inline bool supportsThreadedFontRendering() { return true; }
  +#endif

At the same time it got inlined. At least with MinGW this made the symbol
go away. While e.g. MSVC still exports it.

Now I don't know the exact strategy pursured by QT_DEPRECATED but I assume
that the function's symbol should not disappear from the 5.2 ABI? If so,
I wonder whether removing the "inline" will already do the job.

Harri.