[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 22 16:42:03 CEST 2013

On terça-feira, 22 de outubro de 2013 11:39:30, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> What about dlopen/dlsym?

I hate that option. I hate where we use it and I'd rather we didn't.

In particular, since we're trying to locate one of two major versions, we need
to try first the .so.1 version and, if that fails, try the so.0 version, and if
that fails, have a fallback path to fail gracefully with.

No, let's just link statically. The library isn't big and its license is not a
problem for neither the Open Source packages nor the commercial ones (Digia
supplies the sources to the commercial customers, so there's no problem with
the relinking clause of libudev's LGPLv2 license).

Just one note: we need to ensure that libudev.a was compiled with -fPIC.