[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Oct 25 00:03:04 CEST 2013

Actually having thought a bit about this, and written the change more or
less, my personal opinion is that it would be better to get distribution
packages (via OBS or any other kind) correctly in the future...

udev, and probably other libraries might not guarantee binary compatibility
for releases, and it may happen that they bump the version frequently in
which case it would hard to do cross-working software.

Strictly speaking, dynamic library management even complicates the code for
everyone having to deal with udev, or some other similarly determined
libraries.

If Qt can make sure in the future there are proper distribution packages
(at least for the common variants), this would not be such a big issue. I
understand it cannot happen any soon. I am personally fine with building
QtSerialPort for 5.2 without udev for the official installer. Archlinux,
and some other distribution users will get it right from the distribution
packagers after all.

Well, this is my two cents.