[Development] QtLocation offline Navigation support

Michael Zanetti michael.zanetti at canonical.com
Mon Oct 28 15:51:36 CET 2013

On Monday 28 October 2013 07:34:08 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 28 de outubro de 2013 12:53:53, John Layt wrote:
> > Until QtLocation does offer offline maps and navigation, you may want
> > to consider Marble (http://marble.kde.org) which besides being a cool
> > mapping app also provides a pure-Qt library for online and offline
> > mapping and navigation.  It's currently only available for Qt4, but
> > patches for Qt5 support are currently under review so should be
> > available soon.
>
> We've been using Marble on Subsurface and its lack of support for Qt 5 is
> what holding Subsurface back from Qt 5 too.

I've spent some time to port Marble to Qt5 actually. Current state is that the
QWidget version works fine with Qt5 (performs even better than the Qt4 one) but
the plugin structure does still rely on QGraphicsItem which obviously doesn't
play well with QtQuick >= 2.0.

We hope to tackle that one soonish. Any help is welcome.

> Please note that MarbleWidgets does appear to have a few quirks when
> installed outside of KDE. It seems to be tailored for being run as part of
> Marble itself, so it behaves more as an application library than a
> general-purpose library.

I agree that there are some quirks, but if you don't need each and every
feature I think there are good chances you'll be able to embed it in another
application.

Br,
Michael