[Development] Qt 4.8.6 Release Plans

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Wed Oct 30 08:29:56 CET 2013

On 29.10.2013 17.18, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On quarta-feira, 14 de agosto de 2013 13:15:42, Jonathan Liu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any plans for a Qt 4.8.6 release in the near future?
>>
>> Qt 4.8.5 was unfortunately released with a critical graphics drawing
>> regression (see QTBUG-31579) from Qt 4.8.4 which meant that I am
>> unable to update to it but this is fixed in 4.8 branch. There is also
>> a fix for QHttpMultiPart data corruption bug (see QTBUG-32534) that I
>> am affected by.
>
>Hello all
>
>I'd say that now is time to begin preparations for Qt 4.8.6, especially
>about
>critical backports for supporting OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). We also have 133
>changes in the 4.8 branch right now and it has been 118 days since 4.8.5.
>
>We should take the time afforded by having the 5.2 beta last week. The
>release
>candidates will take a couple more weeks to release.

Hi,

The original plan - or at least rough idea - was to do 4.8.6 after 5.2.0
and have it out in January (by which time it was estimated that we have a
healthy 200 changes in).

It is possible to do 4.8.6 earlier, of course, but it is prone to affect
5.2. And since we are already getting close to December with 5.2 I would
not very much like to take that risk, unless we really have to. Qt 4.8
supports a wide variety of platforms and it typically takes a month to
make sure things work in all of these without regressions - naturally we
can always be lucky but so far it has always been a month or more.

We should have the applications made with Qt 4.8.5 on Mac OS 10.7 (for
example) working in 10.9 without serious issues. And we should be able to
agree together what is a serious enough issue to take the risk with 5.2
getting delayed due to making of 4.8.6. One option is to make a patch
available and ask users to build themselves.

Yours,

		Tuukka