[Development] Add-ons: Removing obsolete API in the same major version

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Oct 31 02:42:31 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 30 de outubro de 2013 20:45:18, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Thiago Macieira
>
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:
> > You can remove in Qt 6.0.
>
> Hmm, that is unfortunate ...

As I said, it's possible to do it before, if you really need to. Note: *need*
to, not *want* to. As in "this is utterly broken and is impeding progress /
has too much maintenance load".

We do not have support in the buildsystem for creating libQt5SerialPort.so.6.
We could have libQt6SerialPort.so.6 but I really don't want that. The "5"
there is about Qt 5, not about serial port -- it would have to be elsewhere.

You could make libQt5SerialPort2.so.5.

But since our buildsystem is not backwards compatible, we'll need to keep
releasing the old version too -- or stop breaking the buildsystem.

> Should we consider so, how about undeprecating API before Qt 6.0 deprecated
> in Qt 5.X?

Undeprecating API is fine.