[Development] Making QScopedPointer scoped (again)

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Tue Sep 3 13:06:50 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:07:09PM +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> std::auto_ptr is very different to QScopedPointer.

I'm no C++ master, so you might teach me something if you explain what you meant, but the only important difference I see between them is that QScopedPointer is non-copyable.
This is the main issue I see with auto_ptr, where it could cause more trouble than it would help.

On the other hand, I don't see in which case QScopedPointer being movable would be a problem.
The move semantic was designed so that it's either explicit or implicit when safe to do.

In any case I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not we should keep it, I'm just puzzled on how it is problematic. Redundancy with std hasn't been a strong concern of Qt before.
I personally find the functionality convenient and non-obstrusive.

Cheers,
Jocelyn