[Development] Making QScopedPointer scoped (again)

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Tue Sep 3 13:37:03 CEST 2013

On Tuesday, September 03, 2013 13:06:50 Jocelyn Turcotte wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:07:09PM +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > std::auto_ptr is very different to QScopedPointer.
>
> I'm no C++ master, so you might teach me something if you explain what you
> meant, but the only important difference I see between them is that
> QScopedPointer is non-copyable.

That's the main difference I see too. The point you tried to make is
irrelevant.

> On the other hand, I don't see in which case QScopedPointer being movable
> would be a problem.

It makes the 'scoped' pointer not scoped.

> The move semantic was designed so that it's either
> explicit or implicit when safe to do.
>
> In any case I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not we should keep
> it, I'm just puzzled on how it is problematic.

Ok, then be puzzled.

> Redundancy with std hasn't been a strong concern of Qt before.

We obsoleted qSort and friends and are actively replacing the use of it with
std::sort.

Introducing *new* redundancy which is redundant from the moment it hit the
repo is not a good idea. Therefore the patch should be reverted.

Thanks,

--
Join us in October at Qt Developer Days 2013 - https://devdays.kdab.com

Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer