[Development] Qt WebEngine

Richard Gerd Kuesters richard at humantech.com.br
Thu Sep 12 16:22:58 CEST 2013

Thanks Lars!

It seems like a big step, indeed, after reading it on the blog. I (as a
developer) appreciate the concern about code migration in the future,
which I think (I may be wrong) will not be a PITA since Blink came as
Webkit fork (sharing the same root and bla bla bla).

But, I have some concerns about it, not related to the rendering engine
itself.

1. I have posted in this list my frustration about the "incomplete" bond
between Webkit and QtCore, specially about networking (when I made some
experiments with websockets). Webkit have its own implementation of this
specific client (workaround) that doesn't uses QNetworkAccessManager.
Digging a little bit, this implementation was written for Webkit by
Google itself and, as being the main developers of Blink/Chromium, I
suppose that it may not be tied to the underlying OS (yet). Does Qt have
plans for it, since there are even developers (in this same list)
creating a client / server?

2. JavascriptCore. I have some custom classes on top of JavascriptCore
to provide extra JS functionality. How this is going to be addressed in
Qt WebEngine?

3. 64-bit Windows. Chrome/Chromium for Windows is 32-bits and doesn't
even have builds for, according to the Chromium project website
<http://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/64-bit-support>.
How this is going to affect the development of 64-bit applications under
Windows?

Thanks a lot!!
Richard.