[Development] Tips needed on doing cross-platform building/testing

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 13:57:39 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user. I've recently made some changes for a bug report
and wanted to test them on Windows as well.

For that I've installed Windows (I've installed 7, do I need to test on
other versions as well?) inside VirtualBox.

Now I was thinking what was the easiest way to get my Qt repo inside that
VM instance. There are 2 ways I thought of:

* Share the git repo on my Linux host with the VM
* Push my changes to my Gerrit remote and then clone from there inside the
VM.

The first option seems to be the simplest. However, can I build the Qt
sources (using developer mode) in the same dir as where my host (Linux)
build is? With developer build there's no 'install' dir that's created and
the built libs/bins are present in the root dir only (qtbase).

I'm sure people here already have setups for handling this scenario, so
whats the preferred way for doing this?

Thanks,
-mandeep