[Development] Minified javascript libraries in Qt source code

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Sep 29 21:47:56 CEST 2013

On domingo, 29 de setembro de 2013 12:20:16, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
Meyer wrote:
> I checked the LGPL as stated in Qt4's documentation and the LICENSE.LGPL
>
> bundled in the tarball:
> >From /usr/share/qt4/doc/html/lgpl.html:
>   "Source code" for a work means the preferred form of the work for
>   making modifications to it.  For a library, complete source code means
>   all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated
>   interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation
>   and installation of the library.
>
> I have so far not found an indication that documentation is under a
> different license, so I understand they are also under the LGPL. ALso
> IANAL, so things might not be as I express them.

It also doesn't say that it is... Since the documentation isn't required in
order to recreate the binary, it wouldn't be strictly required.

Anyway, I agree that in *spirit* we should provide the sources.

> > Now that's convenience. For a couple of files, I don't think it's wrong to
> > ship the extra sources and instructions or scripts to recreate if
> > possible.
> > It's just a couple bytes more.
>
> I agree to call it that way. So let's suppose my assumptions above are OK
> and we need to ship this files. We could, as a convenience feature, use a
> single minified source for jquery and use that in all the relevant places:
>
> ./tools/qdoc3/doc/config/scripts/jquery.js
> ./doc/src/template/scripts/jquery.js
> ./examples/webkit/fancybrowser/jquery.min.js
>
> We could use the same source for the three of them. This also has the
> advantage of knowing that the same version of jquery is used in all cases.

Please provide *source* paths, not installation paths. The decision needs to
be taken per module, since one module = one tarball.

> > So, in the interest of respecting the licenses and keeping downstream
> > happy, I vote for the Qt Project always supplying the preferred sources
> > for modification for whatever we ship. Whether the same sources are
> > present in our regular tarballs or not, it should be judged on a
> > case-by-case basis.
> >
> > (e.g., we don't want to add 50 MB monster PSD files to a 2 MB tarball)
>
> I agree with that.

I'll resend this as a separate thread as a policy change.