[Development] Minified javascript libraries in Qt source code

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 23:27:50 CEST 2013

On Sunday 29 September 2013 12:47:56 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 29 de setembro de 2013 12:20:16, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
>
> Meyer wrote:
> > I checked the LGPL as stated in Qt4's documentation and the LICENSE.LGPL
> >
> > bundled in the tarball:
> > >From /usr/share/qt4/doc/html/lgpl.html:
> >   "Source code" for a work means the preferred form of the work for
> >   making modifications to it.  For a library, complete source code means
> >   all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated
> >   interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation
> >   and installation of the library.
> >
> > I have so far not found an indication that documentation is under a
> > different license, so I understand they are also under the LGPL. ALso
> > IANAL, so things might not be as I express them.
>
> It also doesn't say that it is... Since the documentation isn't required in
> order to recreate the binary, it wouldn't be strictly required.

But then we also need a clear indication under what specific license the doc
is. We downstreamers need to know that.

> Anyway, I agree that in *spirit* we should provide the sources.

Good :)

> > > Now that's convenience. For a couple of files, I don't think it's wrong
> > > ship the extra sources and instructions or scripts to recreate if
> > > possible.
> > > It's just a couple bytes more.
> >
> > I agree to call it that way. So let's suppose my assumptions above are OK
> > and we need to ship this files. We could, as a convenience feature, use a
> > single minified source for jquery and use that in all the relevant places:
> >
> > ./tools/qdoc3/doc/config/scripts/jquery.js
> > ./doc/src/template/scripts/jquery.js
> > ./examples/webkit/fancybrowser/jquery.min.js
> >
> > We could use the same source for the three of them. This also has the
> > advantage of knowing that the same version of jquery is used in all cases.
>
> Please provide *source* paths, not installation paths. The decision needs to
> be taken per module, since one module = one tarball.

Those last three are source paths, all of them coming from the qt4 tarball or
git repo:

lisandro at luna:~/damian/repos/gitorius/qt4(4.8)$ find . | grep jquery
./examples/webkit/fancybrowser/jquery.min.js
./examples/webkit/fancybrowser/jquery.qrc
./doc/src/template/scripts/jquery.js
./tools/qdoc3/doc/config/scripts/jquery.js

The doc webpages are generated at compile time, so I'll need to check from
where they come from.

--
La mejor prueba de que la navegación en el tiempo no es posible, es el hecho
de no haber sido invadidos por masas de turistas provenientes del futuro.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/